Email Marketing is one of the most successful ways of marketing things, and when any company sends an email to you, they also send a tracker with it, which tells the company if you open the Email or not, which indirectly allows them to track you. If you don’t want any marketing company to track your Email, there’s a way to do it, and we will show you how to do it. In this Vodytech Guide, you will learn how to stop your Email from being tracked.
How do Marketing Companies track Emails?
Before we get to our main topic, it’s important that you know how Marketing companies track emails. It all starts with a very small pixel-sized image which they send along with the Email. So, when a user opens the Email, and your email client loads the image, it must have to contact the sender’s server to retrieve the image, and when your client does it, the server register that you have opened the Email and they also record the IP Address and other details. In this way, Marketing Companies track your emails.
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails?
Now that you know how marketing companies track emails let us get to the solution which you can use to stop marketing companies from tracking emails. The solution to stop them is to restrict your email client from automatically downloading images which means that when you open the Email, your email client won’t contact the server automatically, and they can’t track you. Now when it comes to the process of restricting email clients, it varies, but we will share the step-by-step guides for all popular email clients. Let’s get to it.
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails on Gmail
Gmail is arguably the most popular email client with millions of users around the world. It comes with tons of privacy features, including the one which stops marketing companies from tracking Email. In the next sections, we will explain how you can restrict Google from automatically downloading images on Web & Gmail Apps.
Using Gmail Web App
- Go to Gmail.com and log in.
- Once you are in the email client, click on the gear icon at the top right corner.
- Now click on See all Settings.
- In the settings, go to the General tab and find the Images section.
- Here select “Ask before displaying external images”.
Using Gmail App
- Open your Gmail app and log in.
- Now tap on the hamburger icon at the top left corner.
- Scroll down and tap the settings section.
- If you are using multiple email accounts, select the one for which you want to stop tracking.
- Once you are in the settings, scroll down and find the Images section.
- Tap Images and select the “Ask before displaying external images” section.
- That’s it.
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails on AOL
AOL is another very popular email client, and like other email clients, you can also restrict it from automatically downloading images from external sources, which will stop the email tracking. Here’s how you can do it.
- Go to AOL Website and enter your login credentials.
- Once the email client is open, now go to options and select Mail Settings.
- Now find the General section and click it.
- In the General Section, find Reading Category and select “Hide Images in Mail from Unknown Senders”.
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails on Outlook
Outlook is an email client which is owned by Microsoft, and it’s also pretty popular. If you are an Outlook user and you want to restrict your client from automatically downloading remote content, follow these steps.
- Go to Outlook.com and log in using your credentials.
- Once you are logged in, click on the gear icon, which you will find on the top right side of the screen.
- Now click on View All outlook settings.
- Navigate to the General section and then go to the Privacy and Data section.
- Now make sure that “Always use the Outlook service to load Images” is checked.
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails on Yahoo
Yahoo is another well-known email client which is used by millions of users around the world. It also allows you to restrict images from external sources, which will stop marketing companies from tracking emails. Here’s how you can restrict Email from external sources on Yahoo.
- Go to Yahoo.com and log in.
- Now find the Gear icon at the top right corner of the display and click it.
- Click More Settings.
- Now go to the Viewing Email section and select “Ask Before showing External Images” under Show Images in the Messages section.
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails on iCloud
iCloud is a very popular option, especially among Apple users, and you can also restrict it from loading remote content. Here’s how you can do it.
- Go to the iCloud Website and log in using your credentials.
- Once you are logged in, click on the gear icon on the lower-left corner of the screen.
- Now go to the Preferences section and uncheck “Load Remote Content in Messages.”
How can you Stop Marketing Companies from Tracking Emails on Apple Mail
Apple Mail is the default mail client for iPhone Users, and like other clients, you can restrict Apple Mail from loading remote content. Here’s how you can do it.
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Now find the settings app and tap it.
- In the settings, scroll down, find the Mail section, and tap it.
- Scroll down and toggle “Load Remote Images” to gray to turn it off.
- That’s it.
That’s all, folks. In this guide, you learned how to stop your Email from being tracked by Marketing Companies. We also explained the step-by-step guides for all popular email clients, including Gmail, Yahoo, Apple Mail, and Outlook. Also, check this guide where we have shared the Best Email Apps for Android.