The SIM PIN Code is the security feature in SIMs, which makes sure that only authorized users to get access to the SIM. Now, when it comes to the actual PIN number, it varies from carrier to carrier. Some of them set the default PIN like 0000 or 1234. While the others generate the unique PIN number for each SIM. However, it’s good practice to change the SIM PIN Code whenever you get one, as it will make it difficult for an intruder to access the content of your SIM if you set a unique PIN. If you are interested in changing your SIM PIN code, we can show you how to do it. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Why should you lock your SIM?
SIM Card is basically your access to your network carrier, and it comes with tons of useful information such as your SMS messages, contacts, billing information, and Data Usage, which can be misused. On top of that, it also connects you with your network carrier, and if someone uses your SIM for an unlawful purpose, it can get you into trouble.
Some people assume that if they lock their smartphone, their SIM will be protected, but it’s wrong. The intruders can remove the SIM from your smartphone and then use it on another smartphone. In this case, the security on your smartphone won’t matter, and intruders will be able to bypass it. So, it’s important that you set up the PIN Lock on your SIM.
How to Turn on SIM-Lock
Before we get to the process of changing the PIN Code, It’s important that you first enable it on your SIM, and for that, you will need your SIM PIN Code. When it comes to PIN Code, most carriers set it at 0000 or 1234. In the US, Verizon and AT&T use the 1111 PIN Code as default. While T-Mobile and Sprint use 1234 as the default PIN Code. Try the above PIN Codes to unlock your SIM PIN, and if these codes do not work for you, we would recommend you to contact your Network provider and get the PIN Code.
Please note that if you enter the wrong PIN code multiple times, the SIM will be locked, and you will need the PUK code to unlock it. You can get the PUK code from the SIM Card jacket, or you can contact your Network Carrier to get the PUK Code.
Once you have got your PIN Code, the next step is to enable the SIM Lock on your SIM. The process can vary depending on the version Of Android you have. So, the following steps can vary but keep reading because we will show you a simple trick to get it done quickly. The following process is for Xiaomi Smartphones with Android 11.
- Swipe down from the top of the display and tap the gear-shaped icon at the top right corner.
- Navigate to the Passwords & Security section and tap it.
- Now go to the Privacy section and tap it.
- The next step is to select the SIM for which you want to enable Lock.
- Now Toggle the Lock SIM Card and enter the PIN Code.
- Tap OK.
- That’s it.
SIMLock is enabled on your SIM,and now whenever the device will reboot, or you put the SIM in new mobile, you will need to enter SIM PIN to proceed.
If the above method hasn’t worked for you, you can follow the following method, which will work for most Android Smartphones.
- Open your Android Smartphone.
- Go to the Home menu, find the settings icon and tap it to get into Settings.
- Once you are in the settings, tap the search bar on the top and type Lock PIN. Also, try other terms such as Lock SIM Card, PIN Lock, etc.
- Keep trying different terms until you find the term which looks similar to the above terms.
- Tap it, and there you can enable the SIM Lock.
- That’s it.
How to change the SIM PIN Code on your Android Smartphone?
The whole process of changing the SIM PIN code is pretty simple and straightforward. Before we get to the process, it’s important that you have the correct PIN Code because you will need it to change the SIM PIN Code. Here’s how you will do it.
- Go to the settings of your smartphone.
- Find your way to the Passwords & Security section and tap it.
- Now go to the Privacy section and select the SIM for which you want to change SIM PIN Code.
- Here you see the option Change SIM PIN and tap it.
- Enter your old SIM PIN, and then enter the new SIM PIN.
- That’s it.
If you are unable to find the change SIM PIN option using the above steps, follow the following steps.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap the search bar on the top and type Change SIM PIN, Change PIN, and other relative terms.
- Once the right term appears on the search results, open it.
- Enter your Old SIM PIN, and then enter the new SIM PIN.
- That’s it.
How can I access my SIM if I don’t have a PIN Code?
If you have forgotten your SIM PIN Code and you want to access your SIM, you will need your PUK code to reset it, or you can contact your Network Carrier to get a new PIN Code. If you have the PUK Code, simply enter the wrong PIN code multiple times, which will lock the PIN, and then enter the PUK Code to select a new PIN Code.
That’s all, folks. In this guide, you learned how you can change the SIM PIN Code on your Android Smartphone. We also recommend that you store your PIN Code in a secure location so that you could access it in case if you forget it. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments. Also, check this guide if you want to learn How to protect your Android Smartphone from Intruders.