iPhones are arguably very popular with millions of users around the world. The good thing about iPhones is that all of them share the same IOS, which makes it easier to use, but the overall design of iPhones changes from generation to generation, which changes some things such as a way to restart them. In this Vodytech Guide, you will learn how to restart an iPhone, and we will include all the models for you, including iPhone 13. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
How to restart the iPhone 13?
iPhone 13 is the latest and greatest iPhone by Apple that comes with many improved features. However, the overall design is not very different from the previous generation. So, the process of restarting it is also very similar. Here’s how you can restart the iPhone 13.
- Turn on your iPhone 13.
- Now press and hold the side button and volume down button at the same time.
- Keep holding the buttons until the Slide to Power Off option appears on the screen.
- Once you release the buttons, swipe on the slider from left to right to turn it off.
- Now, wait for iPhone 13 to turn off.
- Once it’s turned off, press the side button again and keep holding it until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Now release the button and wait for the device to restart.
- That’s it.
How to restart the iPhone 12 and other modern iPhones
Like iPhone 13, it’s also very easy to restart iPhone 12 and other modern iPhones such as iPhone 12, 11, 11, XS, XR, and iPhone X. If you have these iPhones, you will need to follow the following steps to restart your iPhone.
- Go to your iPhone.
- Now press and hold the side button and volume down button simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons until the Slide to power off slider appears on the screen.
- Now let go of the buttons.
- Use the slider and swipe it left to right to turn off the device.
- Wait for the device to turn off.
- Once it’s turned off, press the side button and keep holding it until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Now, wait for the iPhone to restart.
- That’s it.
How to Restart iPhone 8, 7, and earlier Versions
iPhone 8 and the earlier versions of the iPhone share a similar design, and hence they also share a similar method, which you can use to restart them. In this section, you will learn how to restart iPhone 8, 7, and earlier versions.
- Turn on your iPhone.
- Now find the Sleep/Wake button and press it. If you have iPhone 6, 7, or 8, you will find it on the right side. Similarly, if you have iPhone 5 or earlier versions, you will find it on the top.
- Keep holding the button until Power off Slider appears on the screen.
- Now release the buttons and swipe on a slider from left to right to turn off the device.
- Once the device is turned off, press the sleep/wake button and keep holding it until Apple Logo appears on the screen of your iPhone.
- Now release the button and let the device restart.
- That’s it.
How to Force Restart iPhone 13, 12, and Modern iPhones
Like other smartphones, iPhones also freeze sometimes, which means that your conventional methods won’t work to restart them. If that happens with your iPhone, you can follow this method to restart your device. Please note that this method will work for iPhones 13, 12, 11, XS, XR, X, and iPhone 8.
In this method, we will be using the combination of buttons that will signal the system to restart the device. Here’s how you can use this method.
- Press and release the Volume Up Button.
- Now press and release the Volume Down Button.
- Press and hold the Side Button and keep holding it until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Now let the iPhone restarts.
- That’s it.
If, for some reason, this method doesn’t work, wait for your iPhone to run out of battery. Once it runs out of battery, recharge it and restart your device.
How to Force restart iPhones (Old Models)
If you have iPhones other than those mentioned in the above section, you can use the following steps to force restart.
- Go to your Phone.
- Now press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Home Button simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons until Power off Sliders appears on the screen, and then Apple Logo appears on the screen.
- Once the apple logo appears, release the buttons and wait for iPhone to restart.
The above method will work for all the versions of iPhones but iPhone 7. It’s because the home button on this model is the 3D Touch Panel which means that it won’t work to force restart. You can use the following method to force restart your iPhone 7.
- Go to your iPhone 7.
- Now press and hold the volume down button and Sleep/Wake button simultaneously.
- Keep holding it until Apple Logo appears on the screen.
- Now, wait for the system to restart.
What’s the difference between Resetting & Restarting?
When you reset your iPhone, it means that you will be removing all the apps, files, settings, and other data from the device. On the other hand, when you restart, you will only be turning off the device and then turn on again. Restarting the device won’t delete your data or custom settings.
That’s all, folks. In this guide, you learned how to restart an iPhone, and we have included the restart methods for all models, including iPhone 13, 12, 11, and other models. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments. Also, check this guide to learn How to Improve the Battery Life of your iPhone.