In this guide, we will discuss how to install APK files on Android Device. If you are an avid Android user and you are using it for some time then you would have probably heard the term “APK” at some time. The best thing about Android is that it offers great freedom to its users and one can customize the Android experience by getting the apps from the unofficial sources as well. Understanding the APK files is very important and we will tell you everything you need to know about it. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is an APK File?
Well, APK file is the Android Package which is used by the Android OS for the installation of mobile apps. It stands for Android Package Kit (APK) and it is just like the “.exe” files on Windows. The APK is used by the Android OS for the distribution and installation of mobile apps. When you go to the google play store, you also install the APK file from the store and then install it on your smartphone.
Why would you want to install the APK?
Now you know about the APK but the next question is why would you want to install the APK? The answer to this question is very simple, you would want it to customize your user experience. If you are a tech-savvy person then you would have noticed that Android updates take a crazy long time to arrive for specific regions. For example, the dark mode on Instagram took weeks to arrive in some regions and that’s why users install the APK for certain regions to get the features offered in that specific region. Sometimes, the new updates are also not stable and you would want to get the stable version. You can simply get the stable version of the app and install it.
How to prepare your smartphone for APK from Unknown Sources?
Now you know why you would want to install the APK. The next step is to prepare your Android smartphone for APK and you can do it by allowing the smartphone to install the APK from unknown sources. Here’s how you can do it.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the gear-shaped icon on the top right corner to access settings.
- In the settings, Navigate to Security. (In Some smartphones, It can be Lock Screen & Security or Apps & Notifications depending on the OS version you have).
- Now Scroll down to Device Administration and enable “Unknown Sources”.
Now you have allowed your smartphone to accept the APK from the unknown sources.
How to install APK files on Android device
The next step is to download the APK and install it. Here’s how you can do it.
- Install the APK from the trusted website.
- Tap the APK and click Install.
- During the installation, you may be asked to provide permissions and make sure to check if the app is asking the right permissions or not. Don’t allow it if it is asking for unusual permissions. For example, if you are installing a light app and if it is asking for access to your photos then it is suspicious, don’t allow it.
That’s how you can install APK files on Android Device. We would strongly recommend you to only install the APKs from the trusted websites. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comment section below. Also, if you want to learn how to download the Google Play Store, then visit our website.